Saxophone/Frank Holton Sax

Question
My son just got a Frank Holton and Co. silvertoned tenor sax. He got this from an estate auction, so there is no backstory on the sax. The markings are as follows: on bell: Frank Holton and CO Elkhorn, Wisc---on back: C (serial number) 10#$# L P. It is in the original case and pads are all in great shape--original no idea. It does have some "pearl" keys. We have looked on the internet and E bay for any info about this sax, and many blogs have stated that the online serial numbers to date lists are not accurate. Can you shed any light on this sax?

Answer
Heather - If the horn is in good playing condition - and - it can be determined that the parts are all original, those factors all add "value" to the instrument.  The biggest drawback however, is that this is probably not a Bb tenor sax, but a C melody horn.  That being said, these kinds of horns are not particularly coveted by players today, but if you can find a "collector" they may be interested depending again, on condition.  PS probably made circa 1924 - 25....and makes a cool curio :)

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera