Saxophone/Frank Holton Sax

My son just got a Frank Holton and Co. silvertoned tenor sax. He got this from an estate auction, so there is no backstory on the sax. The markings are as follows: on bell: Frank Holton and CO Elkhorn, Wisc---on back: C (serial number) 10#$# L P. It is in the original case and pads are all in great shape--original no idea. It does have some "pearl" keys. We have looked on the internet and E bay for any info about this sax, and many blogs have stated that the online serial numbers to date lists are not accurate. Can you shed any light on this sax?

Heather - If the horn is in good playing condition - and - it can be determined that the parts are all original, those factors all add "value" to the instrument.  The biggest drawback however, is that this is probably not a Bb tenor sax, but a C melody horn.  That being said, these kinds of horns are not particularly coveted by players today, but if you can find a "collector" they may be interested depending again, on condition.  PS probably made circa 1924 - 25....and makes a cool curio :)

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.