Saxophone/saxophone serial number and age? (king)

Question
i just bought a king 613 sax at a yard sale for 20$ with the king hardcase and all ....it's serial # is 850567.its pretty scatched up and rough around the edges...needs a reed and a good looking over...what can you tell me about it? age? value?...i'm not looking to sell it...want to play around with it...i play guitar now. thanks!

Answer
Ryan

The King 613 was Kings basic student model starter horn. They are good for beginners and can take a bit of abuse before having to go to the shop. I believe these were discontinued sometime in the 1990's

As far as it's age I would estimate yours was made in the early to mid 1980's. If properly re padded and in playable condition it might have a value in the $300 to $500 range. If it was in mint condition without any scratches or defects, it might go for $600 to $750. So getting it re-padded and fixed up to be played would be worth it if you plan to use it for a few years. As you only paid $20 you might be able to turn it now for a small profit. However if you plan to fix it up to sale than sadly you would not make a profit on this as the cost of the re-pad would be close to what you could sale it for.

I hope this helps and if there is any more I can do, please let me know.

Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris