Saxophone/Selmer omega alto sax

I was wondering if you could provide me with information on a Selmer Omega Alto Saxophone. What level of horn is this considered? About when were they made? What would be a fair price for one? The model number is AK04246 with a serial number of 03705.
Thank you

Hi Lindy - this is a decent horn IF it is indeed an older Selmer model....I'm a  little confused by the model # beginning with AK?  Any chance it's AS instead?

Beware - there are 'newer' Omega horns that are essentially beginning intermediate models - they are all over E-bay and can be gotten for between $200 and $400. These typically have silver colored key-work where as the older models have all gold colored keys and body.

Unfortunately there is very little information available on the serial numbers.  if you send a picture I might better be able to identify what you have.  If it IS an older model, it could be worth maybe $1,200 to $1,500.  It's a tough resale market however.

Good luck!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.