Saxophone/Jupiter 789 GN

Question
QUESTION: Dear Cantera,

I am a complete beginner in the sax world, meaning I will just start playing. I want to buy my first sax tenor. I did a little research and I found that Selmer TS-500 and Yamaha YTS-280 are one of the best that suit me right now. But I am not sure which one to choose right now. I read a lot about the Selmer being produced in China and not being a true Selmer. I haven't heard anything like that for the Yamaha. In the end the Selmer is 1100$ and the Yamaha 1350$. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Andrej

ANSWER: Andrej - I'd choose the Yamaha over anything made in China.  The Yamaha's are terrific starter horns and $1350 is a decent price for a new horn.  But shop around - there are good deals t be found online this time of year and especially just after the holidays.

Good luck!

ec

QUESTION: Thank you! But, while looking online I found Allora Paris Professional Tenor same price as the Yamaha yts 280. But this is professional serries with some very good reviews on the net. Do you have any experience with Allora, and what do you think for going with the Allora.
Thank you

ANSWER: Never heard of it and never played one.  I would say be careful - they can put the "professional" moniker on just about anything. :)

QUESTION: Thank you for your help, I found a Jupiter 789 RB (2012 model) brand new for half price right after Christmas. I wanted to ask you about the meaning of RB, since I couldn't find it on the internet. I found that GL is gold lacquered, GN is nickel-coated, but I couldn't find for RB, I found something like "rose brass" but I am not sure. Can you help me with that to know what I have, and what is the difference between RB and for example GL, is it better or does it mean something? Thank you for your help

Answer
Andrej - yes, the RB is most likely the code for the red or rose brass color finish.  It's strictly an aesthetic preference that (in this case) has very little to do with the quality or sound of the horn. If this horn is indeed new, it should be a decent starter sax - enjoy!  

ps - check out my tumblr feed for some interesting posts on saxophone:

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/eugesounds

and follow on twitter too! @eugesounds

happy new year :)

ec  

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera