Saxophone/voll true 2

Question
I have inherited a King Voll True 2 alto.

The serial number is 145xxx. The serial number on the neck matches. Also on the bell is:

No 1,549,911
PAT'D 8-18-25

Unfortunately, I know very little about this saxophone model and google isn't much help for finding unbiased opinions. It's in the original case which has seen better days but the instrument itself is in great shape (though a tech told me it needed a repad).

I would appreciate any information with regard to this instrument (year made, possible limitations of the model). I currently play a 1965 Conn alto so I'm familiar with the quirks of vintage instruments, but so far this particular one has me stumped!

Thank you!

Answer
King Voll-True II
King Voll-True II  
Joe,

I appreciate you asking me your question about the King Voll-True II Alto Saxophone that you inherited. Just like you stated, vintage horns are quirky. I find them to each have their own distinctive persona which can be somewhat inspirational when looking for specific tone characteristics.

I can tell that your serial number points to the sax is from in the early 1930's and most likely being manufactured in 1932 by H.N. White in their Cleveland Ohio facility. What I do know about this particular King alto sax is that H.N. White was trying to improve the action by making it quicker. They did this by adding a roller on the "G key" to allow smooth transition when playing between G, B and Bb.

I also know that one should play a very large chamber mouthpiece on this particular sax or it will take everything within one to play it with good intonation. The Voll-True is also when they moved the low key from the left side of the bell to them both on the right. This saxophone is basically an early version of the later models of 'Zephyr' and 'King Super 20'. I consider the 'Super 20' to be one of their best.

It is too bad about the case you have as having the original in good condition always adds to the value. It is excellent about the shape of the horn as you stated and have already had it inspected by a repair tech. If you plan to play it, which I absolutely would, do consider the repad as the value will also be in feasibility of its possible use. If this were my instrument, and I have several classic and vintage horns, it would always be in playable condition.

I do hope that you are able to enjoy this saxophone to the fullest. It is great that you are a player and already appreciate older instruments.  

I appreciate you taking time to send me your question. Please feel free to follow up if needed.

Saxophone

Gwen Shroyer