Saxophone/Buescher True Tone 1921 alto sax

Question
Hello, I was given a saxaphone by my grandfather 30+ years ago and would like to find some information about it. It is a Buescher True Tone made in Elkhart In, the serial number is 97599. It is silver but I do not know if it is silver plated, it does not have the Elk head on the horn. It is in great shape with the case. Thank you for your time

Wanda Bruce

Answer
Hello Wanda, Yes you have a wonderful vintage professional saxophone.
There are unquestionably several "series" or "groups" of Buescher horns that can be called "True Tone". There are also a couple of major things to note about each series. Hang on. Let's take a look at a chart and see if we can track the major features.
Common Name:   Series I   Series Ia
Lowest Serial Number:   1   5xxx
Highest Serial Number:   5xxx   30xxx (very approximate)
Dual-Octave Key:   Yes   No
Tone Holes:   Straight   Straight
Roller Color:   Metal   Black
Engraving:   The Buescher Mfg. Co.
True-Tone
Elkhart, Ind.   The Buescher
Elkhart, Ind.
G# Key Picture:   Metal Button   Pearl Button
Neither is the first model made by FA Buescher. The award of first is given to the Conn "Worcester" made in 1888.
The main difference between these two "models" is the subtraction of the dual-octave key.
Here is the history of the company...F.A. "GUS" Buescher left Conn in 1894 to establish the Buescher Manufacturing Co. This was later restructured as the Buescher Band Instrument Co in 1904. In 1916, FA Buescher sold a major share of his company to six businessmen including Andrew Hubble Beardsley. FA Buescher remained president until 1919 when Beardsley assumed that title. FA Buescher was vice-president and general manager of the company until 21 January 1929, when he resigned these positions, but was retained as a consultant engineer.
In 1926/7 the Buescher Band Instrument Company was joined with the Elkhart Band Instrument Company1 (some claim that Buescher was bought by the Elkhart Band Instrument Company), a company founded two years previously by Beardsley with Conn's Carl Greenleaf as secretary-treasurer. When Beardsley died in 1936, the Buescher company began using the Elkhart Band Instrument trademark on a line of instruments until 1958.
FA Buescher then founded Art Musical Instruments in 1932 -- they didn't produce their own saxophones, but used Martin stencils.
FA Buescher died in 1937 and was succeeded by Harry Pedler, the VP at the time, at Art Musical Instruments. Slightly after this, Art Musical Instruments had a name change to "Harry Pedler and Sons" -- and still stenciled Martin instruments.2
The Harry Pedler brassworks were bought by Selmer USA in 1958.3
So, from this one can assume "natural" breaks in Buescher designs in 1916-ish, 1926-ish and 1929-ish. Looking at the Buescher horns, this really does appear to be the case.
Let's continue:
Common Name:   Series II   Series III   Series IV   Custom Built
Lowest Serial Number:   30xxx?   200xxx   220xxx   270xxx?
Highest Serial Number:   200xxx   220xxx   260xxx   294xxx
Dual-Octave Key:   No   No   No   No
Tone Holes:   Straight   Straight   Straight   Straight
Roller Color:   Black   Black   Black   Brown
Engraving:   The Buescher
Elkhart, Ind.   The Buescher
Elkhart, Ind.   The Buescher
Elkhart, Ind.
USA   The Buescher
Custom Built
Elkhart, Ind. USA
G# Key Picture:   Pearl Button   4-Roller Cluster   4-Roller Cluster   5-Roller Cluster
These are the "meat and potatoes" series of True Tone: they're the most common and are the best horns of the series.
Many, Many Notes
Possibly the most important: in 1921, Buescher patented a new invention called the "Snap-On Pad". This innovation is important as it is considered the first real "resonator" (unless you want to consider the Conn Res-O-Pad a resonator). Take a moment to read my detailed feature page on this innovation.
In 1928, Buescher introduced three "gimmicky" horns that were actually a significant improvement over their older, conventional siblings: the Straight Alto and Tipped Bell Bb and C sopranos.
Your sax was made in 1921
It is silver plate over brass, not solid silver...the Elk head is for the second line sax you have top of the line sax
thank's
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller