Saxophone/I'm connfused about what I have

Serial #
Serial #  

I inherited a conn from my father and am trying to figure out the age of it. It is a conn usa with engravings of a ribon with stars coming out of it with a banner above the ribon that says conn usa it is a 16m with serial # E04592. I checked the serial # charts and if it wasn't for the "E" I would say 1902. Please help me

Conn-fused - I like it :)

Looks like a classic Conn Shooting Star circa 1965 - it is DEFINITELY NOT from 1902 - my guess is the first digit of the SN# is an 8 not a 0.

These horns are not highly sought after or collected.  Some remain in decent shape and can be okay for starter horns.  They made a gazillion of these to meet the demands of a baby booming population of junior and senior high band programs in the 60's.

These alto's typically sell on the cheap end for as little as $50 to $75 and on the high end maybe at $200 or $300 if they are in very good playing condition.

Keep it in the family as a curio and hopefully fond memory of your dad!

Best - ec

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.