Saxophone/Vito alto sax

Dear Mr. Cantera,
I am a retired band teacher of 35 years in California. I want to sell my Vito alto saxophone. I bought it new in about 1975 and it is a student model in very good condition. The serial # is 522687 and was made in Japan. Can you give me a rough estimate of value or recommend a way for me to find its appromax value.

Thank you for your help,
Brent Mitchell

Brent - you probably have at least one thing going for you here, being a band teacher your horn is probably in decent condition. Unfortunately these alto's have not held their value and those of your vintage are now bringing about $250 to maybe $350 on sites like e-bay. If indeed yours is in good shape with minimal dings and scratches, you might get lucky enough to be o the high end here.  Good luck!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.