Saxophone/1960 p and c alto saxophone

Question
hi i have my dads 1960 alto saxophone it was purchased new in 1960 at a reputable  music store .. the saxophone appears to be very similar in design to the  pennsylvania special .. it has a serial number of 11237 below the thumb piece ..i have done a bit of looking around and there is confusion as to weather it is a kolhert or a keilwerth ... the guards are a very simple design and where they attach to the  tube work they are a diamond shape  .. i hope this is  of some help .. i can  upload and send  pictures if this is any help  regards julian

Answer
Julian - you're OK to be confused - the Kolhert and kielwerth brand history is sort of intertwined and to make matters even more sketchy, there is a brand called Kohler who also made horns in the Eastern bloc that were "copied" in design by other manufacturers.  And Keilwerth actually made stencils of their own horns!  And they even sent bare sax bodies to a variety of other German and Czech makers who would then affix their own key-work and guard designs and sell them under a 3rd party name.  Impossible to keep track of it all!

So, all that being said...it might not help to see a picture but I would be happy to have a look...be sure to send a pic of any etching on the bell, the neck and key-guards (the diamond shape was used by several makers including Selmer) as well as the RH side keys...but like I said, it may remain a mystery!

Til then, I hope you enjoy the horn as a nice reminder of your dad!

Best.

ec

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera