Saxophone/Antique American Standard highgrade sax

Hi sir! I have a sax that was left many years ago. It's a American Standard high grade sax. The number on the horn is 017. Which means this sax is #17 in their production. It's an original. Can you tell me the value with it still being in good shape? It's close to 100 years old and look great. I can send you some pics.

Hi Terrell,

The American Standard horns were manufactured by H. N White as a student horn. It was the precursor to the Cleveland instruments.
There were thousands of these sold during the 1920's & 1930's. If it is gold plated, it is a rare horn. Most likely its not as there was very little money to spend for such luxuries at that time. Due to the age, antiquated mechanism and it being a student horn instead of the mainline (King), the value is only about $250-300.

Jeff Frazier  

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe