Saxophone/selmer paris sax serial #

Question
I'm looking at a selmer paris alto sax with a S/n of 714xxx. What is the year of manufacture for this sax.They state it is a Super action 80 series I. What is the difference between the series I and series II in this model?

thanks

Answer
Gary - there are actually 3 horns in that series! The Series I was called a Super Action 80 (not officially titled the Series I). These horns (in general) were brighter in sound to the Mark VI's that came before. The Series II have been known to be a little darker and supposedly have slightly better intonation overall. Aside from that, minor tuning adjustments were made to the horn between each series.

Incidentally, I found a horn close to your S/N that was billed as a Selmer Paris Reference 54. I have not found a definitive S/N list or any sort of breakdown between the series horns by s/n. These are all considered 'modern' horns however, probably made in the last 15 to 25 years.  

All are considered "pro" horns and should give you years of playing pleasure :)

Best,

ec

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera