Saxophone/selmer paris sax serial #

I'm looking at a selmer paris alto sax with a S/n of 714xxx. What is the year of manufacture for this sax.They state it is a Super action 80 series I. What is the difference between the series I and series II in this model?

Gary - there are actually 3 horns in that series! The Series I was called a Super Action 80 (not officially titled the Series I). These horns (in general) were brighter in sound to the Mark VI's that came before. The Series II have been known to be a little darker and supposedly have slightly better intonation overall. Aside from that, minor tuning adjustments were made to the horn between each series.

Incidentally, I found a horn close to your S/N that was billed as a Selmer Paris Reference 54. I have not found a definitive S/N list or any sort of breakdown between the series horns by s/n. These are all considered 'modern' horns however, probably made in the last 15 to 25 years.  

All are considered "pro" horns and should give you years of playing pleasure :)

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.