Saxophone/Elkhart built by Buescher

Question
read a previous post about these alto sax's and thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have an 80A alto, elk head and heart engraved, s/n 50512 and I'm having trouble tracking down it's age through the s/n. you certainly got me in the range, but I was wondering if you could get me closer to a single year through your resources.
BTW, I'm not selling, I'm actually starting to play again with a local band of "Dads" and just wondered if the horn I bought with my paper route money, had refinished and played through junior/high school was worth investing more into, or should I start shopping for an upgrade now that my career has progressed beyond the paper route...

thanks

Gary M.

Answer
In 1926, the Buescher Band Instrument Company was joined with the Elkhart Band Instrument Company (some claim that Buescher was bought by Elkhart Band Instrument), a company founded two years previously by Beardsley with Conn's Carl Greenleaf as secretary-treasurer. In 1963 Buescher was sold to H. & A. Selmer Company, (now Conn-Selmer). After the sale Selmer restricted the use of the Buescher trademark to selected products, and rebranded some instruments with other names. The quality level of the Buescher horns gradually decreased after the buyout as Selmer USA began to concentrate on the student horn market.
Though Buescher manufactured many kinds of brass instruments, the company was known primarily for its saxophones which competed successfully with Conn and Martin. It is believed that Buescher was the first company to produce them in America.
Your sax is a student sax. It's a fine student sax, and has served you well all these years.
But you only live once, so you should really be playing on a pro sax, and taking private sax lessons. You could get a used Yamaha YAS 62 alto and a pro Meyer 6MM mouthpiece and be all set for the rest of your life. I play a Selmer Mark 6 and a Meyer 7MM and It's unreal how great this set up is. (I've been playing every day for 43 years.) You could keep old ELKIE and give it to your son daughter, nephew or niece for their beginning saxophone lessons.
Charlie Parker could play the hell out of the old Buescher Elkhart, if he were still alive. There are pros and cons. First the pros, Great brass, and built solid as a rock, made to last 1000 years!!! Now the Elkhart cons; old antiquated key work and awkward ergonomics. The Selmer Mark 6 wrote the book on total playability, that's why all modern horns are based on this timeless design. Your sax is based off of a much older design, that of the Buescher True Tone alto. Please go to Sam Ash and try a Yamaha YAS62 or Selmer Mark 6, Mark 7 or Super action 80...(Stay away from Chinese saxophones!!!!)They don't quite have their act together yet, but some are finally getting better with designs based on Modern Selmer super action 80's...it's up to you to try out 20 alto saxophones... and make up your mind, if they are better for you than your old reliable Elkhart...Good Luck! Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller