Saxophone/Hohner President Tenor #15306

Question
This horn was purchased in Germany in the early '70's by a service man.  He sold it to my parents when he returned, and I played it faithfully for eight years in Jr high and HS.  It has just been refurbished professionally, and sings almost as well as when I used to play regularly.  Is  this a collectible horn, or just a student model?

Answer
Your sax was made by Max Keilwerth, who built some very good horns.  The President is a stencil. Made in germany. ergos are fine, although I feel all Keilwerth vintage horns have good ergos,  I  the beauty of the Keilwerth horns is their beautiful, lyrical tone with that great dark bottom. They just sound huge. You could go with the edgiest mouthpiece and edgiest resos you can find, and it's still gonna be a generally dark-sounding horn,  Anyway, count me in as a fan.
Hohner Tenor Saxophone
From the web...
"I bought a "President" for 200 bucks back in the '80's in Sydney Australia. I taught myself to play on it and used to busk down on Sydney harbor near Circular Quay. One night four punters approached me and said they could hear me  all the way from Manly - a harbourside suburb about 12 kilometers away. That's the power of the Hohner! I use a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece with a wide tip opening and #2 1/2 or 3 reed. When I have played with other horn players with Yamahas or the like they have always commented on the tone of the President and what presence it has. I'm just about to submit the girl to another no doubt expensive overhaul but she's worth it. I reckon there's something in the actual metal or the alloy that gives this machine the timbre it has. This girl lives under my bed and I have not played her for about 6 years but am about to start again jamming with friends and playing at the local pub. A great horn well made from the start and never to be sold on! While it is the quality of construction which has always been good.... it's the body tube, bow, and bell tube design which gives the Keilwerth Bros. horns their signature tone....it is really a sound unto itself. Well I decided to get this old instrument looked at and found a guy in Sydney that had a look at her today. Turns out the post attaching the bell to the body has been pushed back and the holes on the body are misaligned. His advice was to change up to a new Student model Yamaha with five years warranty and that new car smell or if I had a "sentimental attachment" he could repair mine for a grand. I asked what was involved and it would be a complete rebuild including removal of the bell and re-align the body, new pads, springs spacers etc. I booked it in this afternoon.
There's a three month waiting list so I won't get it back for a while but I can post some before and after photos and comments if anyone is keen.
Around here that repair might cost $300. Basically the bell brace got pushed into the body tube. So one has to unsolder the brace at both places, remove the dents from the tube and bell, and resolder the brace back on. If, while doing that, the tech cares to replace maybe about a half-dozen pads and do a decent regulation, then all in all it should run maybe $500 or so....
If there are any other techs in your vicinity (i.e. within an hour or so drive) it would be worth your effort to take it to them. "all the pro brass and woodwind players use this guy ..." would be looked at by most people as a rave.
I hear something like this, and my immediate thought is: "then he has no need of your business, is quite busy enough, doesn't know you, and isn't likely to come up with a reasonable estimate"
Well...with the possible exception of Japan....no place is more expensive for tech work than the SF bay area, in Calif.
You might wanna consider that if it had an overhaul and it still is in rel good shape, you could probably save a few hundred if you just fix the bell impaction and replace only the pads absolutely required. Even here, that would probably only run around $600-700.
Best of luck with it...I agree they are worth keeping (and not just for sentimental value).this sax is worth about 1200... it is a pro sax...

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller