Saxophone/Pan American tenor sax

QUESTION: I have a vintage pan American tenor sax. It has been completely refurbished and has the original lacquer and in excellent playing condition, the serial number is P55010 and it has an L stamped underneath the number. Can you tell me about how much it is worth? I paid around 200 for it. Also can you tell me what year it was made in based on the serial number?

Thank you for your help,
Cory Gabel

ANSWER: Hi Cory,

Pan Americans are my favorite horns, that's what I started out on. I do have some questions.
1) are the bell keys on the same side or opposite?
2) what engraving is on the horn? Most of the time they used different engraving for different finishes unless it was a custom order.
3) feel the engraving, is it sharp to the touch or you can't feel it at all?
4) where the serial number is, is there a letter above the serial number or a number with a letter?
5) does it have the original case and accessories?

I ask this because I have an extensive PA collection and the Conn serial number charts do not correspond to the PA line, though they were built by the same company. I have examples from 1919-1950's and everyone of them are as great as the Conn counterparts. If I can get these answers and maybe some pics I can get more info for you.

Have a blessed day,

Jeff Frazier
owner - J and J Woodwinds

sax 2
sax 2  
QUESTION: The engraving is sharp.
Original case and accessories
I'm attaching some pics.
The seial number is

Hi Cory,

your horn was made in the early to mid 1930's. I have one identical to yours. Most of them, not all, were satin silver. At some point the silver was removed for the war effort and the owners had the horns lacquered. That's why I asked about the engraving. If it is sharp and no lacquer in the engraving, then it is original. I have seen the sell for $400-$1600! Great horns. I still have mine from 40 years ago! hope this helps.

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe