Saxophone/Low C on my Alto Saxophone isn't working?

I am unable to play low C on my alto saxophone.  I don't think it is the way I am playing as I have played for a few years and never had a problem with this note.  Low and middle D as well as low C# I am having trouble with but I can play if I try hard enough.  The low C button seems to be working (the key is going down) but I don't know much about the mechanics of saxophones.  Any idea of what it might be?

Hi Samantha,

From what you have described it sounds like you have a leak in one of the pads. It could be a bad pad, a bent key, a missing adjustment cork or a misadjusted screw. The best thing is to visit a repair shop to have the proper repairs made.

Jeff Frazier
Owner - J and J Woodwinds

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe