Saxophone/martin indiana alto

Serial #62021. Purchased used for me by my father in the late 50's when I was in grade school and I got a lot of use out of it for several years. Then marriage-fatherhood- supporting a family and I kind of gave music up. Has sat unused in the original case, which also has a layout for a disassembled flute and a rectangular clarinet case. Bell engraved with Indian Head, "Martin Indiana", and some type of flower. Adjustable lower thumb rest and upper is somewhat  "heart" shaped". Some pitting, scratches etc but no dents. Keys all work fine and pads still good. Would like to get an opinion on it's value as I want to donate to a local public school. Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello Richard,
I want to clarify one thing. Your sax is made with a brass body that is buffed to be shiny, and then coated with a clear or gold colored lacquer. It is not real Gold Plated. This is a fantastic second line sax from one of the best companys that ever manufactured saxophones, here in USA. These were made from 1942-1962...from the web...
Martin Indiana saxophones:
Made 1942 - 1962 (Ser# 26K - 90K) Classification: second line sax,Intermediate
The Indiana is one of their second line/intermediate line horns which would also be indicated by the gold-lacquer body and Nickel keywork. The nickel keywork was a feature of their deluxe models.
Chris Holz, a grandson of Fred A. Holz (President MBI from '31 until '48) has brought to my attention that all Martin instruments were made at the MBI plant itself.
So my assumption that their student models where made in the old Indiana Band Industries plant was false.
Story goes that it has good tone. A dutch owner of an earlier Indiana (gold-lacquer keys) wrote me his Indiana Alto has a nice full tone, and it sounds very well. Also the members of the forum and \ speak highly of them.
The Indiana tenor of a neighbour was very comparable with my The Martin Tenor. Maybe a little thinner, but hardly noticeable.
People claim there are at least 3 stages of Indiana's:
Phase 1.
- Based on a Martin Committee I or II
- heart shaped left thumb rest
- nickel keys
- adjustable right thumb rest
Phase 2.
- Based on THE MARTIN with gold color keys
- at least some of them have adjustable right thumb-rests
- No heart shaped left thumb-rest (not on the THE MARTINS either.)
Phase 3.
- Based on THE MARTIN with silver keys
- no adjustable right thumb-rest
- No heart shaped left thumb-rest
Phase 1. - Indiana The Indiana
- Stencil of a Handcraft phase 2 made by "The Indiana Band Instrument Company" until 1938 not sold under the name Martin
Phase 2. - Indiana The Indiana
- Stencil of a Martin Imperial or Martin Standard Special made by "The Indiana Band Instrument Company" until 1942
- not sold under the name Martin (Or maybe under the name Standard Special
Phase 3a. - Martin Indiana
- Gold lacquered body (based on old Imperial or Standard Special)
- gold lacquered keys
- I assume the design was the same as the latest Indiana, The Indiana
Phase 3b. - Martin Indiana deluxe
- nickel keys
- heart shaped left thumb rest
- adjustable right thumb rest
- Forked octave key on the neck
-  the design was the same as the latest Indiana. The Indiana
It is currently worth depending on the condition, the economy, current market conditions,about $750-$975, on the internet there were 5 for sale... going for $425,$300,$899,$799,$995. I think a fair price for yours would be around $725-$750. Please leave the current finish alone, it is worth way more in original condition, do not re-lacquer it! These are killer for blues, jazz and even concert band. They make great bebop jazz altos, and are really fine players. I could play the hell out this sax tonight at my jazz gig.
Good Luck !
Grant Koeller

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's