Saxophone/Selmer USA Tenor Saxophone

Greetings Eugene,

I looking to purchase a used Selmer USA saxophone from MusicGoRound.  The serial number of the sax is 829389.  I can't seem to find any definitive information on saxophone serial numbers.  Can you tell me what model and year built of this Selmer Tenor by the serial number.  Thank you.

Oliver - despite having the "Selmer" name, not all of these horns are considered pro, or even "good". Selmer USA falls actually under the Conn-Selmer banner now. Their"Etude" for example is a beginner horn made for the 6th 7th and 8th grade band starter group.  Your serial number dates the horn to the early 80's...there were some solid instruments made then BUT they should not be confused with the Selmer Paris horns of the 50's 60's and even 70's.  As far as model it's hard to tell without a picture - the most common were Signet and Omega.  All that being said, there were also very decent Selmer USA "Professional Model" horns made in this era....with a picture I might be able to identify it more accurately.

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.