Saxophone/True E-Tone sax

Question
We have a True E-Tone Lo pitch sax
Elkhart Ind. # 179531 was wondering if
you could tell us anything more about it.
It's pretty tarnished what would be a good way
to clean it up..
Thanks
Lin

Answer
Lin,

Thank you for asking the question about your True Tone Saxophone. These were great instruments back in the day and are still available through private party sales on eBay and various other websites. I used to see a lot more of these through my repair shop. The True Tone Saxophones were made by the Buescher Band Instrument Company and have been noted widely as being the 'meat and potatoes' of saxophones when they were still being produced. Meaning that they were extremely reliable and durable to the performers who used them in their arsenal of horns. I can tell by the serial number that you have provided that your saxophone was a Buescher True Tone Series II made in 1926 in the Buescher factory in Elkhart Indiana.

As to your question about how to clean it, I would never put any polish on a saxophone finish. The only thing I ever recommend to use is water and a very soft/non abrasive cotton cloth. Anything and everything will damage the finish. Be extremely careful when wiping it down. I should also tell you that some tarnish is normal due to its age. If this were my personal horn, I would only wipe it down with a damp, soft cloth.

I will also tell you that your saxophone is worth at the most about $600 and on the low end about $100. The difference is completely on its playing condition and atheistic appeal.

I appreciate you sending me your question as I am always intrigued by vintage instruments and their history. I hope that you will enjoy it for years to come.

Saxophone

Gwen Shroyer