Saxophone/Clarinet repair

Question
Hi, I have a question about a clarinet repair...

I have a Buffet R13 greenline that has a pad that needs to be re-seated (for middle C I think), as well as some small adjustments that need to be made. I am seeing a new tech as my current one is on vacation, and he says that he usually charges by the hour ($80 I think), and that the repair should cost between $150-$200. Is this fair, considering that this is just one pad that needs to be re-seated, aside from the minor tweaking? Is it normal for instrument repair techs to charge by the hour? He says that he can do the job for about $125 if the repairs are done at his house.

Another thing that I am wondering about is the fact that he would like me to play-test a Chinese Lark bassoon for him. I am not a professional bassoonist, but he knows that I play the bassoon, and I told him that I've heard some pretty negative reviews about that specific brand. I'm just having red flags because he's trying to get my approval on account if it's good for learning, and that it should play good after he's fixed it. Am I right to be suspicious on account that he's an instrument tech and that he should know about these things, rather than asking a recreational player all of this?

Answer
please find another tech. if he charges $80 an hour ...it only takes 20 minutes to repair the pad, so $80 divided by 3 is $26.66 !!!
About the bassoon, he feels you are qualified to make an assessment. So that is a complement. However, he should be the one making the assessment.
Please go to NAPBIRT and use the Tech Locator to find you a better repair tech.
Thanks Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller