Saxophone/HN White King saxophone

Question
Hi, I am interested in purchasing the HN White tenor saxophone in this listing:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/msg/5064980159.html

The seller describes it as an alto sax, but it seemed too large to be an alto, so I asked him to send some pics of the net so I would know if it was a tenor or a C melody...it has the neck of a tenor saxophone. It is a low-pitch model, serial number 31457. Other than what's described in the listing the seller said that it was his dad's when I inquired more about it, but other than that he doesn't know much else about this horn. He is asking $350 obo for it, but it is unknown on what kind of repairs and adjustments it will need. What can you tell me about this sax? Is this a good professional model suitable for modern studio use, or is it strictly a collector's horn? There is some elaborate engraving on the bell in one of the pics, but I can't quite make out what it says...can you verify from what is shown what model this horn may be? Is this a good deal? Thanks for your time.

Answer
Mike, This is an Obsolete C melody saxophone. This sax could be fixed up and played, but you need to have the original c melody mouthpiece. This sax will play out of tune if an Eb alto or Bb tenor mouthpiece is used. The Low pitch stamp on the horn is good. Todays pitch is Low Pitch A=440. I've seen these go for this price...after all it is a historical saxophone from the late 1920's...but not really suitable for a modern music studio use. Back then, most saxophones were silver plated brass with extensive and fancy engraving. This sax is best to hang on the wall in a museum, or fix it up and perform sheet music in the key of C(old historic sheet music, Guitar parts, Organ music, church music. In order to fix it up , you might have to spend $200 to $800. and then when you are all done, it's worth about $350. So it is not a good deal. However if you are a person who wants to learn how to fix up old saxophones, this would be a great deal.
Best of luck! Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller