Saxophone/King 613 alto saxophone

Question
I have a king 613 with a serial number of N179801. Can you date it for me. I have found conflicting information. Is it from the 1970s or a 1980s made in mexico conn?  Thanks

Answer
Kings were made in Cleveland ( Eastlake ,ohio) then
King and Conn got bought by a bigger conglomerate.
Dan Henkin bought King in 1983. In 1985 (maybe late 1984) saxophone production at Eastlake(KING Cleveland) was stopped and the alto King 613 became a Conn 18M, while the Tenor 615 became either a 16M or a 60M. the full serial of N208229 was made in 1985 so your sax is a year older 1984. I found a King 615 on eBay with a N208xxx serial number a few weeks ago and I knew it had to have been a rebranded Conn. The horn definitely had the Vito-style keywork of the 60M, and it stood to reason that Dan Henkin would've consolidated sax production at one factory (allowing the King plant to take on Conn brasswinds). It also confirmed my suspicion that that infamous "N" prefix didn't mean 1970 on saxes. I knew that the "Saxophones 1976-present" list floating around had to mean something, and putting the "N" in front made it all come together fairly well. Some say that the N stands for the Conn Nogales Arizona plant. King and Conn did get taken over by UMI Musical Instruments. A large band instrument importing company. These UMI saxes were the real start of "standardization" and cheap sax importing. Quality also went really wonky, giving UMI instruments a hugely bad reputation!
At around this same time, Martin went to LeBlanc, made by Yanagisawa, Vito was still LeBlanc, but switched manufacturing to Yanagisawa, Buescher went to Selmer USA (actually the first to make a drop in quality and marketing), and the Bundy name was picked back by Selmer USA (having been a pro brand in the 1920s).
To clear it up:
Buescher goes to Selmer USA in the late 1960s
Martin goes to LeBlanc in the early 1980s?
Conn goes to UMI in the late 1980s, with King following close behind the 1990s?
They had all stopped being pro-level saxes by 1980 or so, and some brands (Buescher) much earlier. Selmer USA bought Buescher in 1963.
Wurlitzer sold Martin to Leblanc in 1970 or '71. The true Martin saxes ended production in '72 or so.
Daniel J. Henkin bought Conn in 1980, King in 1983, and sold both to Skäne Gripen/UMI in late 1985.
Conn's pro saxes were dropped in 1969, and King's around 1975 (officially, but there were Super 20s made later). The "Cleveland" name was dropped from student horns around this time as well. The Eastlake factory stopped building saxophones in 1984 and from then on they were built in Arizona and essentially Conns.  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller