"I have recently acquired a sax made by CG CONN. Could you please help me with year, type and value, please?
On back is: patent Dec 8, 1914
The bell is gold inside, has pearl keys and a tuner on the neck. The sax is silver. Any help would be very appreciated.

Anne - Sounds like a nice old horn - this could date to the late 1920's or early 30's.  According to the markings it is most likely a C melody horn which, unfortunately is not as highly valued as the more traditional Eb or Bb horns.  The value is in it's condition - will it need work to become playable? Are all the original parts intact?... etc.  

There are several of these listed on sites like e-bay - some going for as little as $100 and others maybe as much as $600-$800 (an exceptional model in near mint condition with all original parts and case!).

I hope that helps a little.  PS - they do make great display objects and curios :)

Best - ec

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.