Saxophone/Selmer Alto Sax Omega

Sax #1283155
Sax #1283155  

Sax #1283155
Sax #1283155  
Looking for the value for this sax. The serial # is 1283155. It is in excellent condition

Thanks for the photo. What you have there is a Selmer Omega Alto Saxophone. Unfortunately the serial number does not really help in dating these because the Selmer USA company never released a serial number chart. However I can tell by the logo on the bell this was likely produced in the mid 1990's to the early 2000's. The Omega was originally released as just the Selmer USA saxophone and didn't have the Omega logo. The Omega is considered an intermediate to advanced model saxophone. I've known many pros that have used them and do very well. As far as value goes thats going to be difficult to pin down as the value on these are all over the place. I've seen these sell for as little as $500 and as much as $2500 depending on the condition of the horn combined with what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. In my opinion these are some of the most overlooked and undervalued used saxophones on the market today.

You said it was in excellent condition however I would still have it looked over by a tech to make sure. A 20 year old instrument can have hidden problems that may not be apparent at first glance. If you don't know a sax tech in your area you can go to and do a tech search for someone in your area. Call some of them and see if you can set up a time to meet with them and just have the horn evaluated. Most don't charge just to look at it.

Also I have to assume your not a sax player and I don't know if you have a background in music or the music industry. If you have been doing any searches for Selmer saxophones on the internet you have likely gotten into a smorgasbord of saxophones and come across some horns that have extraordinarily high asking prices and people are paying for them. You might see names like, Mark VI, Mark 7, Super Action, Super Balanced Action, SA80, Series II, Reference54, etc. Also they will list the serial number as 141,xxx or something like that usually leaving the last 2 or 3 digits X'ed out. This creates a great deal of confusion concerning the value of saxophones that bear the Selmer name and logo.  

The reason for this is there are 2 separate and independent Selmer companies. Selmer Paris is located in  Paris France and The Selmer USA company which is now known as Conn-Selmer is located in Elkhart, Indiana. It is very common for individuals not familiar with the industry to think they are one in the same. The reason for these two companies and the confusion is due to two brothers. Henri Selmer started a factory in Paris in the late 1880's. By the early years of the 20th century, his mouthpieces and clarinets were extremely popular and in great demand. His brother Alexander, relocated to the United States and played clarinet with the Boston Symphony for a while before opening a Store in New York to import and sell the instruments his brother was producing in Paris. However due to some laws on the books at that time it was very difficult for a foreign company to own or operate a retail store in the United States. Thus Alexander Selmer created the Selmer USA company. Both companies went in different directions and both provide for slightly different markets. The only thing they have in common is an exclusive import export agreement for each others products. Selmer Paris only produces professional saxophones, clarinets and mouthpieces. They produced professional level trumpets and trombones until 2011. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is what you would expect for an instrument that cost $5000 to $8000 brand new and used by some of the top saxophones players in the music industry. Selmer USA focuses more on the student and intermediate market but has acquired a few other names under which it manufactures professional level brass instruments (trumpets, trombones, french horns, etc.)  

I know that may be more information than you asked for or expected. I cant begin tell you the number of times I've been asked to place a value on a saxophone with Selmer stamped on it and the owner expects it to be worth thousands when its really only a few hundred. They are usually very disappointed and I hope thats not the case here.  A Selmer Paris will have the Paris logo stamped on the bell and will say "Paris". The USA instruments will not.  

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at

I hope this helps.
Charles Harris  

Charles Harris

questions regarding equipment, performance, repairs, lessons, etc. Almost all saxophone related questions.

I am a professional member of N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instruments Repair Technicians). I have been repairing saxophones, flutes, clarinets, and brass instruments since 1993. I perform in several professional groups covering genres form classical, jazz, and rock.

N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians

St. Petersburg Junior College (AA) University of South Florida.