Saxophone/Selmer Signet Alto Sax

Sax Again
Sax Again  
Hi there!  

After reading several of your responses I'm only a little in awe, you're knowledge is impressive!   Personally, I don't know much about instruments in general, some may even call me musically challenged. So it doesn't come as much of a surprise that I can barely distinguish a saxaphone from a flute, let alone identify a quality vintage saxaphone. While I have attempted research of my own, I have gained very little knowledge and desperately in need of some help!

I'm hoping you might be able to tell me a bit more about this sax.  So, here it goes.  I have a saxaphone with Selmer Signet USA engraved on one side while the serial number 719869 is engraved on the other.  According to the receipt it was purchased in October of 1977 and is a model "152" or "15V".  Neither of those model numbers pull up anything when I plug them into google.  Additionally, I have attempted finding information using the serial number but to no avail.

The sax is in fantastic condition especially considering the age, though I can't speak much on how it plays. Does this sax have an actual model number or is the model Signet itself?  Any idea when it was manufactured?  Does this hold any value, is it actually a quality instrument?   Honestly, any information you may be able to share would certainly make you my hero.  Thanks so much in advance & look forward to hearing back from you!

Best wishes,

The Selmer Signet was Selmer USA's top of the line.
When People think of Selmer they usually think of Paris France Selmer. However Selmer USA bought out Buescher in 1963, and they started making the Selmer Signet. They started making the S-brace Signet in the mid-60s, and it continued until 1979 at which point the name was applied to what was nothing more than a Bundy II with lacquered keys and a wood-shell case.
Your sax , if it has LH bell keys and an S-shaped bell brace, it's a good horn. These were made by Buescher in the early to mid 60s, and are essentially Aristocrats. Some have said the body metal is of a bit lower grade, and I suspect that compared to an early 'Crat this might be true.How ever there are wonderful alto and tenors.
Your serial number says that it was made in 1977.
from the web...
"It's a good intermediate level horn, a selmer-owned Buescher made, American made of course. I eventually got a better sax because I wasn't completely satisfied with the tone. I still keep it for when I play rowdy shows. You can look up the serial number at this page below(signets are after "Purchased by Selmer USA" in 1963:
Have fun with your collectible sax! Of course his comment about the tone, was really the mouthpiece, not the horn...
Grant Koeller  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's