Saxophone/King 613

QUESTION: Hi. I can't find that alto horn on Conn s.n. charts: N2051xx, U-shape brace to the bell, right side bell tone holes. Would you like to tell me when and where was it made ? How about approximate worht ? Thanx in advance for your answer. Kind regards,

ANSWER: Kamil,

I seriously doubt you going to find much information on the Conn 613. That is a student horn likely manufactured in Nogalas New Mexico in the early to mid 1970's. Conn didn't include the student models in their serial number list and by the time these were being manufactured, Conn was already declining as a manufacture. Buy the mid 1980's Conn would absorbed into United Musical Instruments (UMI) and the Conn label was little more than a name plate used by other manufactures.

As far as value I wouldn't put much on it. Student horns are manufactured for kids and are usually abused. Most of these I've come across need a great deal of work plus they are kind of a pain to repair. That being said they are built rather sturdy and can take a great deal of abuse. If you were to find one in near mint condition I wouldn't value it value it much more than $400 to $500 US. However if it needs work thats going to lower the value considerably almost to the point where it would cost more to fix it than it's worth.

I'm sorry if this is bad news.

Charles Harris

QUESTION: Sorry, my mistake: I confused King and Conn. Could you please to answer again ? Kind regards, Kamil

To be honest I did too... Don't know why I didn't pick up on that... Conns student model was the 18M and the King was the 613. Armstrong also had a version of this same saxophone. They are all pretty much identical and I believe they were made at the same factory. Thus the N at the beginning of the serial number.

What I said before still applies.

Charles Harris  

Charles Harris

questions regarding equipment, performance, repairs, lessons, etc. Almost all saxophone related questions.

I am a professional member of N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instruments Repair Technicians). I have been repairing saxophones, flutes, clarinets, and brass instruments since 1993. I perform in several professional groups covering genres form classical, jazz, and rock.

N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians

St. Petersburg Junior College (AA) University of South Florida.