Saxophone/Value of my saxophone

I found in my grandfathers attic a band master artist saxophone elkhart-ind 46m pattern applied for T53826L can you tell me about it4j

Cheryl - so sorry about the late reply, AllEXperts neglected to send me the initial alert of the pending question.

The horn was probably made by Conn it's termed a "stencil" as in, Conn made it then "stenciled" on the Band Master label. Many of these were sold via the Sears catalog in the 1930's and maybe 40's. It's value as a "player" is nominal...maybe $100 or $200 - if the condition is extremely good, it could bring as much as maybe $300, but that is very, very rare. Most of these horn often sell at tag sales or online auctions for less than $100. If you send a picture I could probably give you a slightly more accurate value.

Because it's your Grandfather's, it probably means more, and is more "valuable" to you than anyone interested in playing or learning sax.  It can be dusted off (not polished) and displayed as a neat curio in the corner of a den or office.  It might take up to $200 to get into playing condition - but that could be fun too!

Cheers from Dallas. I hope this helped!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.