Saxophone/Wondering about my saxophone

Hello there!

I recently had a conversation with a friend who plays saxophone and I had no Tonight he came over for dinner and I brought up the saxophone that was passed down to me. Now, I don't know how to play a reed instrument and don't know if I ever will (I played percussion and low brass) but I do know it's worth holding on to.  

It's a silver plated Evette & Schaeffer Buffet Crampon Patented Tenor Saxophone. I'm not sure what key it is. Its serial number is 12334. My phone isn't cooperating for pictures but I can always take some on my camera if you want to see it.

Can you tell me anything about it?

Thanks for the question. To be honest I'm going to need to see some photos of the horn. Specifically I need some very detailed photos to tell you more about it, but here is what I can tell you in general concerning Buffet Crampon, and Evette & Schaeffer.

The Buffet company began in the early 1800's as a French instrument manufacture, manufacturing mostly clarinets. Today their R13 clarinet is the most commonly used instrument among top orchestral clarinetist around the world. In the 1840's they became known as Buffet Crampon. In the 1880's the company was sold to two partners named Mr. Evette and Mr. Schaeffer and they introduced the Buffet / Evette and Schaeffer line of instruments. Eventually the Evette and Schaeffer labeled instruments were exclusively student instruments while the Buffet Crampon labeled instruments were designed for the professional. In the 1870's they began producing saxophones after the original patent held by Adolphe Sax expired. At first the saxophones they produced were near copies of the original Adolphe Sax design, but eventually they started making some interesting changes. Unfortunately most of those changes have not survived into the modern day.  

That being said, the saxophone you have could be one of 2 models. In the 1950's the company reset their serial number list, so the serial number you gave me could place the horn in the late 1890's or the mid 1960's. However you used the term "Patented" and if this is one of the patented models that would place it in the 1890's. However to be sure I need to see some photos and specifically here is what I need to see...

The key clusters for both the right and left hand. As much detail as you can get.

Please make sure you include photos of the left hand pinky cluster. These are the keys that close the low B and Bb keys on the bell (The largest pads on the horn).

I will need to see the engraving on the bell and please try to make sure it is readable. If the serial number is not in the same area as the engraving I need to see that as well as any other markings on the horn.

Also a few general photos of the horn showing the neck and body. If you have a yard stick, measure the horn form the bottom of the bow to the top of the neck and I'll be able to tell you what key it is in.

If you would like to send them to my e-mail you are more than welcome to. The E-mail is

Charles Harris

Charles Harris

questions regarding equipment, performance, repairs, lessons, etc. Almost all saxophone related questions.

I am a professional member of N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instruments Repair Technicians). I have been repairing saxophones, flutes, clarinets, and brass instruments since 1993. I perform in several professional groups covering genres form classical, jazz, and rock.

N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians

St. Petersburg Junior College (AA) University of South Florida.