School Psychology/Intellectual age

Question
I think I read somewhere that between ages 17 and 19 are when a person's mind is at its sharpest. Does that seem true to you, or do you know of any research that suggests the truth of it?

Answer
It depends on how you define "sharp". 17- to 19-year-olds are probably sharpest when it comes to some things such as physical stamina, strength, reaction time, etc.

The prefrontal cortex is not fully developed until sometime in the mid-twenties on average. This area is responsible for decision making, considering options and consequences, social control, and goal setting and planning. Without this area fully developed, 17 to 19-year olds are not as good at these as older adults. Additionally, experience and education are huge factors in one's ability to reason, solve problems, and think critically. At some point, the mind does begin to decline. This time varies from person to person. It is dependent on lifestyle to some extent such as diet and exercise but also highly influenced by genetics.

So, in my humble opinion, a person's mind is sharpest somewhere between the ages of 40 and 65.  

School Psychology

Morgan Potts