School Psychology/IQ tests

Question
My son is 19 and we are applying for SSI for him. The Social Security Administration is requiring he have another IQ test. He had WISC-III tests at age 10 (Full IQ = 56, subsets ranging 55-72) and again at age 13 (Full IQ = 50, subsets ranging 55-62). He has never been mainstreamed and is currently in a program for disabled 18-22 year olds.

Now he will be taking the WAIS-IV. I would like to know how closely the WISC numbers will correspond to the WAIS numbers. I'm asking in case the examiner comes up with an out-of-left-field number. I do understand that IQ is a fluid sort of thing.

Answer
Hi Melissa,
While IQ is something that changes somewhat over time and each testing experience is a little different and so scores will naturally vary, the test is unlikely to come out extremely different. You may see some areas that have declined - or possibly had reached their peak at 13 and the scores have fallen because he is older now. You may also see some areas that have improved. Overall, though, I don't think you will see anything drastically different.
Best of luck to you,
Morgan  

School Psychology

Morgan Potts