School Psychology/A few questions

I was wondering if you could help me out in with an assignment I have. I need a few questions answered about your daily routine and your practicing styles in psychology.

1. In what setting do you practice? How long have you been practicing?
2. What are your specialties or areas of clinical focus?
3. What are the most common disorders you treat?
4. Do you have any special certifications or training beyond your original graduate coursework?
5. How do you approach therapy or treatment? Do you use specific modalities, techniques, or interventions?
6. What ethical and legal issues do you think are the most challenging or common?
7. Do you have an opinion on where you think the field of psychology is heading?
8. What do you enjoy most about your work?
9. What advice would you provide an aspiring psychologist or therapist?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Justin,
I would be happy to answer your questions.
1. I currently work in a k-8 charter school. I work directly for the charter school, though the charter is through a local district. I have been at the current job for about four years and I have been a school psychologist for about 12 years.
2. School psychologists don't have areas of clinical focus usually since our focus is generally on the educational evaluation of students and interventions and practices that help students with school success. Having said that, my areas of interest and experience are Response to Intervention, and behavior management.
3. The most common disorders I work with are Learning Disabilities, and Emotional Behavior Disorders.
4. Yes, I have a leadership certificate. I also seek continuous training on new assessments or practices in school psychology.
5. As a school psychologist, I do not do a lot of direct therapy, though I do some and I do a lot of groups. I tend toward a behavior modification focus with strength based emphasis. I do work with a lot of interventions, though usually through teacher and parent consultation rather than directly. The intentions are research based interventions typically for academic or behavior problems.
6. In the school setting, the most common ethical issue I see is confidentiality. Teachers and other school personnel often forget that it is not okay to talk about the particular issues of a student or family with others.
7. I think that the field is heading toward more research based practice.
8. I love working with the students and seeing students benefit from interventions. I also really enjoy the assessment part of my job and analyzing and putting the pieces together to form a comprehensive understanding of a student's difficulties.
9. Find an area that you are passionate about and never get to the point that you think you know everything. There is always more to learn and new research is always shedding brighter lights on human learning and behavior.
Best of luck to you,

School Psychology

Morgan Potts

I can answer most questions related to psychological evaluations including an explanation of the scores and the assessment measures. I can also answer most questions regarding special education eligibility, response to intervention (RtI), and recommendations and interventions for specific areas of disability including intellectual disability, learning disability, emotional and behavioral disorders, other health impaired, autism, and pervasive developmental disorder. I can also answer questions regarding Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and parent rights.I cannot determine if a child has a disability or not based on anecdotal information or assessment scores. I can also answer questions regarding the profession of School Psychology. I can tell you what School Psychologists actually do. I can also tell you about educational requirements though these differ somewhat by state.

As a graduate student, I interned at a psychoeducational facility for students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders as well as other disorders including specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and autism. Following my internship, I was hired full-time there as a school psychologist and worked there for several years. Since then I have worked as a regular school psychologist in a district mostly completing psychological evaluations and consulting with the Student Support Team (SST). I currently work as a contract psychologist for several metro Atlanta counties.

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) The Student Support Team Association for Georgia Educators (SSTAGE)

My undergraduate degree is from the University of Georgia in Psychology. I have an M.Ed. and Ed.S. from Georgia State University. I recently completed my Educational Leadership Certificate at West Georgia University.