School Psychology/High school student


I teach in a rural school and have a student I am concerned about.  He is a bright senior who is gifted in art and writing.  He scored a 28 on his Act. He can draw detailed pictures extraordinarily fast and his writing is lucid and profound.  His penmanship is exquisite.  However, he never talks unless asked a question
and then he responds in barely audible one to three word answers.  He dresses oddly and does not seem to have any friends.  There is no record of special testing or interventions. I would like to give him some guidance and support as he will graduate this spring.  What kind of programs help older gifted students who do not interact with others? Are there colleges where his creativity would be developed and that would provide some social interventions?  It is painful to think about what his future might bring because after 30+ years teaching, he may be the most gifted student I have had,

I would suggest that you try to connect with his family. They are going to be the ones who will have to help him navigate after graduation. I would recommend that you talk to your school counselor to find out what kind of community resources are available or if there are any groups or individual counseling opportunities at school. You could initiate a social skills group, such as a lunch bunch, with a few students who have similar needs. Is he planning to go to college? You may be able to help him with that process.
Best of luck to you,

School Psychology

All Answers

Ask Experts


Morgan Potts


I can answer most questions related to psychological evaluations including an explanation of the scores and the assessment measures. I can also answer most questions regarding special education eligibility, response to intervention (RtI), and recommendations and interventions for specific areas of disability including intellectual disability, learning disability, emotional and behavioral disorders, other health impaired, autism, and pervasive developmental disorder. I can also answer questions regarding Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and parent rights.I cannot determine if a child has a disability or not based on anecdotal information or assessment scores. I can also answer questions regarding the profession of School Psychology. I can tell you what School Psychologists actually do. I can also tell you about educational requirements though these differ somewhat by state.


As a graduate student, I interned at a psychoeducational facility for students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders as well as other disorders including specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and autism. Following my internship, I was hired full-time there as a school psychologist and worked there for several years. Since then I have worked as a regular school psychologist in a district mostly completing psychological evaluations and consulting with the Student Support Team (SST). I currently work as a contract psychologist for several metro Atlanta counties.

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) The Student Support Team Association for Georgia Educators (SSTAGE)

My undergraduate degree is from the University of Georgia in Psychology. I have an M.Ed. and Ed.S. from Georgia State University. I recently completed my Educational Leadership Certificate at West Georgia University.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]