School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Referencing Style

Question
My Mentor advised me this referencing style:
Reference List: is made in name,date in alphabetical order. than they all are assigned numbers in ascending order.
In text: the assigned numbers are quoted in text in brackets.
which style is this and would this be acceptable.
Bassanio

Answer
If it is acceptable to your teacher, that is, the person who is actually setting the standards for the paper, it is acceptable. This does not come from a style guide with which I am familiar, however. But different disciplines and different geographic areas often use different style guides. If I were you, I would ask my instructor what style guide is preferred.

If, in the future, you are writing articles for submission to a particular journal, all journals specify what style guide should be followed. And you must follow their requirements for your article to be considered.

Hope this helps.  

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith