School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Referencing Style

My Mentor advised me this referencing style:
Reference List: is made in name,date in alphabetical order. than they all are assigned numbers in ascending order.
In text: the assigned numbers are quoted in text in brackets.
which style is this and would this be acceptable.

If it is acceptable to your teacher, that is, the person who is actually setting the standards for the paper, it is acceptable. This does not come from a style guide with which I am familiar, however. But different disciplines and different geographic areas often use different style guides. If I were you, I would ask my instructor what style guide is preferred.

If, in the future, you are writing articles for submission to a particular journal, all journals specify what style guide should be followed. And you must follow their requirements for your article to be considered.

Hope this helps.  

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as civil and electrical engineering and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.