School papers, Essays, Dissertations/How is this sentence?.

Would you edit the following sentence? How is it? Does it have any mistakes?

"Peter, to tell you the truth, there are grammar questions I cannot find their answers, no matter however hard I try."

Thank you very much

"Peter, to tell you the truth there are grammar questions for which I cannot find answers no matter how hard I try."

Even better would be,"Peter, to tell you the truth I cannot find answers for some grammar questions no matter how hard I try."

It is probably OK to put a comma after "truth," but I don't think there is a strong enough separation between those dependent phrases to make it necessary.

Try to avoid phrasing thing as variants of "to be" as in "there are." Asserting existence is never as strong as asserting action. In the variant of the sentence you gave me your primary verb is one of existence, not action, and that is always a weaker construction. So avoid variations of that when possible.

Hope this helps.

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as civil and electrical engineering and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.