School papers, Essays, Dissertations/the.

Hope you are fine.

Which choice is correct? Please explain your reasons and tell me why other options are wrong.

A) When was A telescope invented?

B) When was THE telescope invented?

C) When were telescopes invented?

Thank you

They are all technically correct in a grammatical sense, but assuming the questioner is referring to the first example of the class of instruments referred to by the term "telescope," B) is the correct question.

However, since there are several kinds (refracting, reflecting, radio, etc.) of telescope, A) could reasonably be asked and have multiple answers.

C) probably asks about the same question as B) but is a less conventional phrasing. Again, it could have multiple answers.

Hope this helps.

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as civil and electrical engineering and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.