School papers, Essays, Dissertations/How to reference the offline MSDN.

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
It is clear that we can ,easily, reference the MSDN as a web reference.
However, I use an offline edition of MSDN. So, how I refer to offline MSDN as a  reference.

Thank you

ANSWER: If it is a published work, whether print or electronic, provide the publication data as you would for any other published work. Each style guide has its own guidelines for formatting that data, and I don't know which guide you are following. But in general, the information provided for references must enable the reader to find that source or a duplicate.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer.

However, the issue is that MSDN document does not provide readers with some important details, author name for example!
If it is a web reference, we are able to omit the author field. But in our case what should we do regarding author?

Thank you

Answer
As I noted  before, do what the style manual you are using tells you to do for each type of publication you are citing. If your group is not using a style manual, you should be. Select one. And your document should fully conform to all its conventions--formatting, content, everything. Microsoft publishes "The Microsoft Guide for Technical Publications." It is very good, and you might use that given the discipline you're working in.

In the meantime, do what you do for other types of publication for which you are lacking information. If you don't have an author, start with something else. Often that would be title of the publication. Just make sure you provide enough information that the reader can identify and find the same resource.  

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith