School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Sourcing

Hi, I'm writing a paper in MLA format. When I say, "according to BBC News 1 Sep 14..." do I still need to footnote or source that?

Yes. There's probably a URL that you can provide to the specific story. That would be easiest. Just BBC News and the date is not sufficient to help the reader find the source easily in many cases. That is the purpose of citations - to show the reader exactly where to find something. Your citation should include the title of the story and a specific location where it may be found.

Hope this helps.

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as civil and electrical engineering and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.