School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Sitting there at the table not knowing what questions are to come or who is going to win is just absolutely nerve wrecking.

Yes, it is grammatically correct. But it could be written more clearly. Also, the more common phrase is "nerve wracking".

I believe the sentence would read better if recast to say, "It is just absolutely nerve wracking to sit there at the table not knowing what questions are to come or who is going to win."

Putting a long phrase between subject and verb often makes things less clear.

Hope this helps.

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as civil and electrical engineering and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.