School papers, Essays, Dissertations/The difference

Question
Hi
Something in English I cannot understand fully is the difference between COULDN'T HAVE +PAST PARTICIPLE and MUSTN'T HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE.

Could you please explain the difference?

Thank you so much
Best
David

Answer
Dear David,

I can explain the difference. "Couldn't have" indicates an impossibility that (often) has occurred in the past, while "mustn't have" indicates a highly probable unlikely event that (sometimes) has occurred in the past.

Let's say the sentence is, "He couldn't have committed the murder because he was in Paris that night." This means it is impossible that the person could be a suspect, whereas "He mustn't have committed the murder because he was in Paris that night" indicates that the subject is highly unlikely to be a suspect, but MIGHT have been a suspect; it leaves a very narrow margin of question, "might" representing that narrow margin.

However, to move it to present tense, if I say, "I mustn't have that dessert; I'll have to turn it down," I mean "I won't allow myself to eat it." If I say, "I couldn't have that dessert," the meaning is the same, and though this phrasing is used once in a while, the structure is incorrect -- it isn't "correct" to say "I could not have" something in the present, because "couldn't have," even in this context, most often refers to an event in the past.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin