School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Protect against ...from

Question
Hi
How are you doing?
I have a question:

The Syrian man tried to protect her little daughter ........ bombing.

1) against
2) from

Thank you warmly
David

Answer
Dear David,

There is really not much difference, though in this particular sentence, I'd be inclined to use "against" instead of "from" because a threat is perceived, and one protects oneself "against" threats of disease, war, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. It implies that the protection is serious.

Other than that, there is really very little difference. This is another one of those examples that have no real reference in the English language.

I hope this helps at least a little.

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin