School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Try

What is the difference between a) and b)?

a) She tried washing her hair in beer.

b) She tried to wash her hair in beer.

Thank you. Please explain how I can understand the difference.

Dear David,

The answer is B) She tried to wash her hair in beer.

When she "tried to wash her hair in beer," this implies she puts forth the effort, but she may have failed. We don't know the outcome from that one sentence.

If she "tried washing her hair in beer," she's essentially trying this approach to see if it will work, and by simply "trying," this means she's gone through the process and found out whether or not it works. There's a sense of completion inherent in that sentence.

I hope this helps!

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin

I can correct essays/papers up to 300 words.

If you want to see editor's marks, send the work to my email address (, and I will return it in a Word document so you can see comments, suggestions, and explanations via Tracking Changes.

For further work or larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can proof and edit graphs, tables, bibliographies, footnotes, indices, and references, but I do NOT format or arrange these.

I am a full-time freelance editor specializing in work for ESL (English as a second language) authors. I also work with native English-speaking authors in all areas.

I can answer questions related to grammar, style, tense, mood, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling. If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at to express your needs; I would be pleased to help you. My rate is $0.008 per word, and I process all payments through PayPal.

I am a native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading experience. Though I specialize in academic articles for ESL professionals and students, I also work with native English writers in any genre (fiction, non-fiction, children's books, website copy, etc.)

AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION: Editing ESL drafts, abstracts, CVs/resumes, and articles in the fields of medicine, science and economics (others as well; please inquire).

I have volunteered on AllExperts in the "Writing Books" category for several years:

I can use British-English or American-English and am proficient in Chicago and AP style, as well as various styles required for peer review and professional trade publications.

If I am unavailable here, you can reach me at

Editorial Freelancers' Association.

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate study, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with many authors in the UK and America in many industries, but I have specialized in working with ESL clients from Germany, China, Finland, Spain, Russia, France, Portugal, Japan, Singapore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Korea, the UAE, Italy, Australia, and Canada. References available on request.