School papers, Essays, Dissertations/The...

Hope you are fine.
In Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, I found the following example:

"The function of the heart is to pump blood through the body."

Here is my question: Why is there "the" in front of "heart" and "body" but not "blood"?

I think the sentence should be "The function of the heart is to pump the blood through the body."

Do you agree?
Thank you so much

Dear David,

You would say "...the heart" because it is a major organ, just as you would say "...the pancreas; the liver; the brain."

Blood is a substance that moves through and/or sustains the major organs, similar to fat, cartilage, bile (bilirubin), etc. So, in the interest of "the major organs" being such, these nouns (the heart, the lungs, the bladder, etc.) are preceded by the article "the" as a sort of introduction and, to a lesser considered but implied "importance." That isn't to say that blood is less important than the heart; it's simply set up that way in the English language because blood "serves" the large, major organs.  

You wouldn't say "the blood" unless you were referring to it specifically, on its own, as a subject, like this: "The blood drawn from this patient is Type B"; however, if you turn that sentence around, you wouldn't use "the": "This patient's blood was drawn, and it is Type B."

Some of these answers aren't found in any book but are what Noam Chomsky, an astute linguist (, calls "deep grammar" -- the language that native speakers and writers know simply because "we know it" inherently. I wish I had a rule book for everything, but sometimes there just are just no references. I hope this helps!

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin

I can correct essays/papers up to 300 words.

If you want to see editor's marks, send the work to my email address (, and I will return it in a Word document so you can see comments, suggestions, and explanations via Tracking Changes.

For further work or larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can proof and edit graphs, tables, bibliographies, footnotes, indices, and references, but I do NOT format or arrange these.

I am a full-time freelance editor specializing in work for ESL (English as a second language) authors. I also work with native English-speaking authors in all areas.

I can answer questions related to grammar, style, tense, mood, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling. If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at to express your needs; I would be pleased to help you. My rate is $0.008 per word, and I process all payments through PayPal.

I am a native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading experience. Though I specialize in academic articles for ESL professionals and students, I also work with native English writers in any genre (fiction, non-fiction, children's books, website copy, etc.)

AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION: Editing ESL drafts, abstracts, CVs/resumes, and articles in the fields of medicine, science and economics (others as well; please inquire).

I have volunteered on AllExperts in the "Writing Books" category for several years:

I can use British-English or American-English and am proficient in Chicago and AP style, as well as various styles required for peer review and professional trade publications.

If I am unavailable here, you can reach me at

Editorial Freelancers' Association.

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate study, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with many authors in the UK and America in many industries, but I have specialized in working with ESL clients from Germany, China, Finland, Spain, Russia, France, Portugal, Japan, Singapore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Korea, the UAE, Italy, Australia, and Canada. References available on request.