School papers, Essays, Dissertations/like///

Hope you are fine. Could you please help me with the following question?

If I am traveling, I like ........ the night before.
A) to pack
B) packing

Please explain your reasons.
Thank you in advance. Wishing you all the best.

ANSWER: Dear Hamed,

The correct answer is "A" because "to pack" is a verb, denoting action, which is "to pack."

"Packing" is a noun; a thing -- therefore, it doesn't fit work with the sentence, though it does "sound" almost right and is often used incorrectly. You can't fit action in with a noun, so "B" is incorrect.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin

QUESTION: Thank you. Could you please answer this one as well?

Which one is correct?
a) I love smoking.
b) I love to smoke.

I think based on what you said, only b) is correct.

Dear Hame,

This is so close to "both being right/acceptable," that I don't quite know how to answer, though "B" is correct. To make "A" completely grammatically correct, one would instead say, "I love the act of smoking."

English is a tricky language in so many ways. Noam Chomsky, a noted linguist, said, this goes into what he calls "deep grammar" -- something for which native speakers have no reference, but simply "know" inherently. (Here is a link to better explain this:

There are many areas in English (and I'm sure in other languages, as well) that aren't addressed in any reference book, but I do my best to help as far as I can without such references!:)

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin

I can correct essays/papers up to 300 words.

If you want to see editor's marks, send the work to my email address (, and I will return it in a Word document so you can see comments, suggestions, and explanations via Tracking Changes.

For further work or larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can proof and edit graphs, tables, bibliographies, footnotes, indices, and references, but I do NOT format or arrange these.

I am a full-time freelance editor specializing in work for ESL (English as a second language) authors. I also work with native English-speaking authors in all areas.

I can answer questions related to grammar, style, tense, mood, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling. If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at to express your needs; I would be pleased to help you. My rate is $0.008 per word, and I process all payments through PayPal.

I am a native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading experience. Though I specialize in academic articles for ESL professionals and students, I also work with native English writers in any genre (fiction, non-fiction, children's books, website copy, etc.)

AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION: Editing ESL drafts, abstracts, CVs/resumes, and articles in the fields of medicine, science and economics (others as well; please inquire).

I have volunteered on AllExperts in the "Writing Books" category for several years:

I can use British-English or American-English and am proficient in Chicago and AP style, as well as various styles required for peer review and professional trade publications.

If I am unavailable here, you can reach me at

Editorial Freelancers' Association.

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate study, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with many authors in the UK and America in many industries, but I have specialized in working with ESL clients from Germany, China, Finland, Spain, Russia, France, Portugal, Japan, Singapore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Korea, the UAE, Italy, Australia, and Canada. References available on request.