School papers, Essays, Dissertations/church

How are you?
Sometimes I see that the article "the" is used in front of the word "church." And sometimes no article is used in front of it. Could you please tell me why?

Thank you so much

ANSWER: Dear David,

When you hear or see "I am going to church," it's personal, like "home," where you'd say, "I am going home." It doesn't need an article here because you don't have to define it as an object because it's subjective.

If you want to visit a new church, you'd say, "I am going to the church on Newberry Avenue," the same way you'd say "I am going to the home on Newberry Avenue; it looks like it might be for sale." The use of an article in this instance factors in a certain "distancing" -- something that is objective or impersonal to the speaker or reader.

I hope that helps!

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin

How are you?
I have a question:

Which one is correct? Please explain your reasons.

"Peter, can I take a taxi to .........?"

A) the school
B) school

Thanks so much! I wish you all the best in life

The answer would be both A and B, depending on what I said about the "church" question; if the speaker is going to a school he and Peter are familiar with, it would be "school." If the speaker is going to a school he and Peter are unfamiliar with or don't attend and know immediately "which school" is involved, it would be A) "the school."

Hope it helps - please note I don't usually answer two questions from the same person in the same day; I want to get to as many people as possible.

Thanks for writing!
Catherine Van Herrin

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin

I can correct essays/papers up to 300 words.

If you want to see editor's marks, send the work to my email address (, and I will return it in a Word document so you can see comments, suggestions, and explanations via Tracking Changes.

For further work or larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can proof and edit graphs, tables, bibliographies, footnotes, indices, and references, but I do NOT format or arrange these.

I am a full-time freelance editor specializing in work for ESL (English as a second language) authors. I also work with native English-speaking authors in all areas.

I can answer questions related to grammar, style, tense, mood, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling. If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at to express your needs; I would be pleased to help you. My rate is $0.008 per word, and I process all payments through PayPal.

I am a native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading experience. Though I specialize in academic articles for ESL professionals and students, I also work with native English writers in any genre (fiction, non-fiction, children's books, website copy, etc.)

AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION: Editing ESL drafts, abstracts, CVs/resumes, and articles in the fields of medicine, science and economics (others as well; please inquire).

I have volunteered on AllExperts in the "Writing Books" category for several years:

I can use British-English or American-English and am proficient in Chicago and AP style, as well as various styles required for peer review and professional trade publications.

If I am unavailable here, you can reach me at

Editorial Freelancers' Association.

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate study, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with many authors in the UK and America in many industries, but I have specialized in working with ESL clients from Germany, China, Finland, Spain, Russia, France, Portugal, Japan, Singapore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Korea, the UAE, Italy, Australia, and Canada. References available on request.