School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Will VS be going to

Hope you are fine.

I have been meaning to ask you the following question for a long time:

Can we use "will" for  future planned activities? I think we cannot use "will" for future planned activities. I think we must use BE GOING TO + VERB if we want to talk about future planned activities. However, my friend disagrees and says "will" can also be used. 

Do you agree? 

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

If I understand the question correctly, I think "will" is the correct choice--"We will go to Texas on Thursday." I think "be going to" just adds unnecessary words, which is almost never good. But, if you're talking about future plans, you might be more likely to say, "We plan to go to Texas on Tnursday."

Hope this helps.

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as civil and electrical engineering and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.