School papers, Essays, Dissertations/The

Which one is correct and why?
Thank you warmly.

"........government spends billions of dollars a year defening ..... of other nations, of other people, of ....... who cannot defend themselves because they are weak."

a) The American/ the rights/the pepole

b) American/ rights/ people

Thank you
Please explain why the article THE is needed or not needed.

Dear Ted,

The sentence should read this way:

"THE AMERICAN government spends billions of dollars a year defending THE RIGHTS of other nations, of other people, of PEOPLE who cannot defend themselves because they are weak."

(However, it would be more concise to say, "THE AMERICAN government spends billions of dollars a year defending other nations' rights and people who cannot defend themselves because they are weak.")

1. But going with the first example, you would say, "The American government" because "the" defines it clearly as "The American" government, as opposed to "The Japanese government" or "The Swedish government."

2. In your example, you would say, "THE RIGHTS of other nations" because "the" references "other nations' rights" in particular. In my reconstructed sentence, I don't have to use "the" because I prefaced it with "other nations'" -- a possessive that does not need introduction; however, in your example, because "rights" are not clearly referenced, you have to support them by using "the."

3. "People" is inherently understood because the sentence already references "people" by saying "other people" -- it needs no definition because it's already been defined; it's a repetition of sorts.

I know this complicated, but I hope it helps.

All the best,

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin

I can correct essays/papers up to 300 words.

If you want to see editor's marks, send the work to my email address (, and I will return it in a Word document so you can see comments, suggestions, and explanations via Tracking Changes.

For further work or larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can proof and edit graphs, tables, bibliographies, footnotes, indices, and references, but I do NOT format or arrange these.

I am a full-time freelance editor specializing in work for ESL (English as a second language) authors. I also work with native English-speaking authors in all areas.

I can answer questions related to grammar, style, tense, mood, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling. If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at to express your needs; I would be pleased to help you. My rate is $0.008 per word, and I process all payments through PayPal.

I am a native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading experience. Though I specialize in academic articles for ESL professionals and students, I also work with native English writers in any genre (fiction, non-fiction, children's books, website copy, etc.)

AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION: Editing ESL drafts, abstracts, CVs/resumes, and articles in the fields of medicine, science and economics (others as well; please inquire).

I have volunteered on AllExperts in the "Writing Books" category for several years:

I can use British-English or American-English and am proficient in Chicago and AP style, as well as various styles required for peer review and professional trade publications.

If I am unavailable here, you can reach me at

Editorial Freelancers' Association.

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate study, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with many authors in the UK and America in many industries, but I have specialized in working with ESL clients from Germany, China, Finland, Spain, Russia, France, Portugal, Japan, Singapore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Korea, the UAE, Italy, Australia, and Canada. References available on request.