School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Will

Question
Hi
Hope you are fine.
My friends and I have been talking about a grammar question.

Can we use "WILL" for FUTURE PLANS in English?
I think if we want to talk about FUTURE PLANS, we cannot use WILL and  we should use SUBJECT + TO BE + GOING TO + VERB instead. However, my friends disagree. They say we can also use WILL for future plans.

What do you think?
Thank you
Best

Answer
Dear Hame,

Yes, you can use "will" for future plans, such as "I will go to Paris next year." That is a future plan, just as one would say, "I will be going to Paris next year" (or, to be more concise, one would say, "I will go to Paris next year.")

Think of what a "will" (as an emotion) means: There is the "will to live," for example -- you may have heard people say, "I would have given up after so much physical pain, but I had a strong will to live." This means a person is emotionally determined to live, not to die -- and to continue to live puts the force of that "will" in the future.

"I will go to lunch." This implies that you haven't gone to lunch yet, but that you are determined to do so and will in fact do so in the future.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin