School papers, Essays, Dissertations/Will

Hope you are fine.
My friends and I have been talking about a grammar question.

Can we use "WILL" for FUTURE PLANS in English?
I think if we want to talk about FUTURE PLANS, we cannot use WILL and  we should use SUBJECT + TO BE + GOING TO + VERB instead. However, my friends disagree. They say we can also use WILL for future plans.

What do you think?
Thank you

Dear Hame,

Yes, you can use "will" for future plans, such as "I will go to Paris next year." That is a future plan, just as one would say, "I will be going to Paris next year" (or, to be more concise, one would say, "I will go to Paris next year.")

Think of what a "will" (as an emotion) means: There is the "will to live," for example -- you may have heard people say, "I would have given up after so much physical pain, but I had a strong will to live." This means a person is emotionally determined to live, not to die -- and to continue to live puts the force of that "will" in the future.

"I will go to lunch." This implies that you haven't gone to lunch yet, but that you are determined to do so and will in fact do so in the future.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

School papers, Essays, Dissertations

Catherine Van Herrin

I can correct essays/papers up to 300 words.

If you want to see editor's marks, send the work to my email address (, and I will return it in a Word document so you can see comments, suggestions, and explanations via Tracking Changes.

For further work or larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can proof and edit graphs, tables, bibliographies, footnotes, indices, and references, but I do NOT format or arrange these.

I am a full-time freelance editor specializing in work for ESL (English as a second language) authors. I also work with native English-speaking authors in all areas.

I can answer questions related to grammar, style, tense, mood, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling. If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at to express your needs; I would be pleased to help you. My rate is $0.008 per word, and I process all payments through PayPal.

I am a native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading experience. Though I specialize in academic articles for ESL professionals and students, I also work with native English writers in any genre (fiction, non-fiction, children's books, website copy, etc.)

AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION: Editing ESL drafts, abstracts, CVs/resumes, and articles in the fields of medicine, science and economics (others as well; please inquire).

I have volunteered on AllExperts in the "Writing Books" category for several years:

I can use British-English or American-English and am proficient in Chicago and AP style, as well as various styles required for peer review and professional trade publications.

If I am unavailable here, you can reach me at

Editorial Freelancers' Association.

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate study, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with many authors in the UK and America in many industries, but I have specialized in working with ESL clients from Germany, China, Finland, Spain, Russia, France, Portugal, Japan, Singapore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, South Korea, the UAE, Italy, Australia, and Canada. References available on request.