Science Fiction Books/Time travel short story

When I was in High School I read a short story about a scientist that sent a watch back to the best for a few seconds and when it returned it was rusty. He then sent himself back to a prehistoric time where he ended up staying for several years. I remember he made friends with a primitive caveman and also maybe a cave woman. At the end of the story he returned to the present time and only a short amount of time had past. I think the story took place in England (perhaps London) circa late 1800's early 1900's. I've been trying to find the name of this story for over 20 years. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I though this was included in a book that contained several other time travel stories (maybe even The Time Machine). Thanks

Sorry - never read this one.  Here's a link to a website that lists all anthologies containing sci-fi short stories.  Look up the ones containing The Time Machine and cross-reference the other short stories in the anthologies.  maybe you will hit pay dirt.  

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton

Engineer who has read thousands of science fiction books and short stories. Can recommend stories on specific subjects and comment on technical feasibility. Especially good at older out-of-print books and authors.