Science Fiction Books/medical thriller

Question
Many years ago I read a book that I would like to reread on my tablet, but can't remember the title or the author, however I do remember the basic plot.
  A doctor is researching a cure for his father who suffers from Alzheimer's and runs out of funding so he tests the drug on himself.  He discovers that the drug increases reflex speed so to fund his research he starts participating in sporting events that require fast reflexes, such as boxing.

Answer
sorry - never read this one.  But I can highly recommend a short story in a similar vein titled Flowers for Algernon, by Keyes.  It was later expanded into a novel.  The short story is collected in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, volume I.  It was also made into a dreadful movie.  The short story is the best of the three versions.

Good luck finding your book, and hope you enjoy Flowers for Algernon.  

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton