Science Fiction Books/Utopian themes in cyberpunk

Hello there,

I am writing a paper on the (implicit) utopia in dytopian novels, with William Gibson's "Neuromancer" as its main focus. I was wondering if there are any specific utopian elements, or ideas of what "a good life" is, that are typical for Cyberpunk, or for 80's/90's sci-fi in general.
I know it's a bit comlicated, but any help would be appreciated :).

Thank you!

Well, obviously, the concept of the "Technological Singularity" is inherent in the whole Cyberpunk genre. This invariably involves some form of increasing complexity, with the eventual aim of attaining the "Omega Point", the ultimate level of complexity in the Universe.

Cyberpunk also usually has a Japanese cultural influence in it, echoing Japanese economic dominance in the 1980s. Come to think of it, all the various themes explored in Neuromancer are already mentioned online:-

I would strongly recommend also reading Bruce Sterling's book "Schismatrix Plus" as it is one of the definitive Cyberpunk books. The novel and its short stories mainly focuses on the struggle between two factions, Shapers (who practise genetic engineering, the use of drugs, and eugenics to improve themselves) and Mechanists(who use either cyborganic enhancements or upload their minds into electronic interfaces). In the end the protagonist in "Schismatrix"  becomes  truly "posthuman" when he transcends beyond his physical form to become something quite alien.

Science Fiction Books

I have read most of the short stories and books produced by the Top 80-100 authors in the SF field, as well as more obscure authors such as Robert Sheckley, and can answer any queries regarding author, title or theme of a science fiction short story(or novel). I can also answer questions on the history and influence of Science Fiction past to present, as well as on specific SF genres such as Cyberpunk,Golden Age SF, H G Wells-style scientific romances etc. I do not answer questions about books/stories set in the Fantasy genre.

Am currently doing a writing course for writing Science Fiction Books, with the Writer's Bureau in the UK.<

Am considering becoming an amateur writer of Science Fiction. Other than that, no academic credentials, I simply have read a multitude of SF books and stories, with an emphasis on stories from H G Wells to the 1980s.