Science Fiction Books/Fascinating Theme

Question
Read hundreds of science fiction stories during a phase when I devoured at least one book a night. There is on fascinating story that haunts me, can you help me identify the title or author?

Civilization is practically exterminated and those who survive destroy all scientific knowledge. One electrical engineer starts a secret monastic society to preserve books which are slowly modified by the scribes who 'illuminate' the drawings making them illegible.

It takes centuries before one monk begins to decipher the texts and re-discover science. The original engineer is converted into a God...
I recall the story as an excellent blending of the middle ages with modern society.

Answer
Read this story and enjoyed it, but can't remember the title or author.  Sorry.

But I can recommend a similar story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectre_General

This short story appears in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 2B

Please let me know if you find your story, since I'd like to read it again.

Science Fiction Books

Sue Kayton